2021 Toyota Tacoma log
A log of my 2021 Toyota Tacoma’s milestones and modifications.
- Bed mat
June 14th, 2022
- I’ve heard great things about bed mats—most importantly:
nothing slides around—so while I was at the Toyota dealership getting an inspection sticker, I figured I’d get one.
- First full year
May 24th, 2022
- 3,583 miles on the odometer and some thoughts: the truck’s nearly perfect, but if I had to nit-pick I’d say that the interior plastic was selected by an idiot (because it scratches far too easily), and the tune I had done back in December is an absolute requirement; whatever was done to the ones and zeros in there should’ve been done at the factory.
- Garmin Mini 2 dash cam
April 6th, 2022
- I added a Garmin Mini 2 dash cam and used a Dongar Technologies adapter to power it from the factory rear-view mirror harness, which keeps everything discrete and tidy, and it’s practically invisible from the driver’s point-of-view (see the fifth photo).
Here’s a minute of day footage:
…and a minute of night footage:
- A/C drain tube extension
March 27th, 2022
- From the factory, the A/C drain tube drips water right onto the truck’s frame, so I extended it using a handy kit sold by a fellow on tacomaworld.com.
Here’s what it looks like before the extension is added, as seen from above:
Here’s what it looks like after the extension is added:
…and here’s an under-the-truck view:
I’m pretty sure those white zip-ties won’t last more than a year or two, but they’re all I had on-hand; I’ll replace them at some point.
- Low-beam bulb upgrade
March 1st, 2022
- I swapped the stock Osram H11 low-beam bulbs for Philips H9 bulbs. The H9 bulbs are intended for high-beam use, but with a small modification they fit perfectly in the low-beam halogen projector. Learn more in this exhaustive lighting thread on Tacoma World.
- Third utility rail
January 1st, 2022
- I added a third utility rail at the front of the bed, right beneath the rear window. I have no particular use for it at the moment, but I like that it’s there to match the two outside rails.
- Bike mounts
November 1st, 2021
- I added two pairs of INNO RT202 truck bed bike mounts, which attach directly to the bed utility rails. I like these because they don’t require removal of the front wheel and there’s still plenty of space between the two bikes.
- Bed extender
October 2nd, 2021
- I installed an AMP Research bed extender for two reasons: it creates a small, contained area when the tailgate’s up, and it extends the bed space when the tailgate’s down.
- Fluid Film
July 27th, 2021
- I had New Meadows Auto Repair apply Fluid Film to its underside, then set an annual reminder to get it reapplied every fall.
- All-black TRD bed stickers
June 20th, 2021
- I wasn’t happy with the color of the factory bed stickers—too much red—so I replaced them with an all-black version from somebody on Etsy.
- Center console organizer
June 9th, 2021
- The center console is just a large open container which isn’t as useful as it could be, so I added this handy center console organizer.
- Neoprene seat covers
June 2nd, 2021
- I installed these EKR brand neoprene seat covers, front and rear.
- Silly sticker
May 31st, 2021
- I added this silly manual gearbox preservation society sticker to the rear window.
May 26th, 2021
- I brought it to Darker Visions to get the front windows tinted to match the rear windows.
May 24th, 2021
- I purchased it from Ira Toyota right as the vehicle market was starting to skyrocket. In hindsight, I was somewhat lucky to get it at sticker-price: about $41,000.